When it comes to pregnancy, I would say there are several superstitions -- how you're carrying determines the sex of the baby, if you're feeling sicker then it's a girl, don't tell anyone for the first trimester, the heart rate can determine sex. Really, the old wives tales go on and on. Personally, I'd consider myself a logical person but I also will never cross paths with a black cat, I pour salt over my shoulder if it spills, and I hate Friday the 13th. One superstition that I wholeheartedly believe in, especially being pregnant, is warding off the evil eye. I wore a red string bracelet when my niece was in the womb, and now that I am pregnant myself, I wear one (as well as my husband, sister, and mother-in-law).
A protective red string bracelet is said to have come from a Jewish tradition (although I would say most people associate it with Kabbalah) where a red string was laid in the bed where a baby slept and was shown to family and friends for the first time. Why a red string you ask? Well it's said to come from Rachel's (the great matriarch) tomb, as she had red string wound around the tomb and carry protective energies for the mother and the baby in the womb, in this case.To some it may seem silly and I know it's sort of nuts that I believe in some superstitions and think others are absolutely nutty. But I guess we all have our beliefs to follow, irrational or not. So throughout this pregnancy, I will wear my red bracelet proudly and hope for the best for me and my little Thumper. Along with a prayer I say with my husband say every night, it's the best protection I can offer and just hope that the evil eye is warded off and in six and a half months, we'll be holding a beautiful little baby in our arms.
When you said 6.5 months I was like holy cow?! Is that all?? I don't think you or your superstitions are silly. When I was in Israel, red bracelets were sold everywhere we went, so clearly you're one of a large number of followers (I have one that I bought there). Believing in things we can't see or prove is the definition of faith, and faith is what carries us through. :)
ReplyDeleteI know right?! I looked at S and was like holy cow, 10 weeks is 2.5 months pregnant isn't it!? I know YOU don't think my superstitions are silly, you love me :) I love your definition of faith, have I ever told you that? Thanks for always being such a strong support for me!
Delete