After hearing the heartbeat at 16 weeks, we went to BRU and found the adorable Pooh nursery set that we had fallen in love with. After that, we knew the nursery would be catered to that design and that color scheme. We always knew that we wanted a solid top half of the room with a striped bottom -- we instantly fell in love with the look and we know what we like. We had pretty early on decided to do the top half in a bright yellow (keeping it neutral), and we had also ordered the border online that went with the nursery theme. We had attempted several different green colors on the bottom that we thought would work with the green in the Pooh design but after trying about five different ones, we had quickly learned that green was just not going to work. Either they were too dull or too bright, didn't work in a natural or artificial light, and it was just starting to be more trouble than it was worth.

So then we decided to stop buying paint samples we thought would work and just go with blue. The theme had two blues in it already and so we figured we could just paint match that instead of playing around with colors and spending more money than we really needed to. After all is said and done, I am SO glad we ended up doing that because the room looked ten times better than it was looking with the green samples. All I have to say is that next time, we professionally hire painters though, or tapers anyway! People would tease us because we started thinking about the nursery so early (I wanted it done by the baby shower) but it literally took us over a month to get everything done. The taping straight lines is what ended up taking the largest amount of time. It was a two man job!

We figured it was great, because the blues weren't too dark and would still work if the baby was a girl. Well then came our twenty week ultrasound (the day after we finished with all the blue) and we found out that our little Thumper was indeed and undoubtedly a little girl! Well, I came home and was sitting in the room and just started to cry. While I still loved the room, it started to look and feel too "boy" for me. Looking at the room now, I KNOW this was a pregnancy hormone issue rather than a real one. Either way, something had to be done at the time.

So, we decided to add a strip of pink to off-balance the blues. While I loved the room before, I am IN LOVE with it now. It came out so much better than I could have hoped for. We took the pink from Piglet and had them color match it so it was an easy choice for the shade we wanted. Looking back now, I'm so glad we did it all ourselves because it definitely added a special touch to the room for us. You can definitely see the imperfections, but all in all, we LOVE the room -- which is all we needed from the beginning. Considering every other room in our house is white walls with beige carpet, I love going into the room and just sitting in my rocker to enjoy the colors and the warm feeling. After all the paint was done, we just had to hang the border and then S started to build the furniture. I do have to say, I love having everything in one room now. So now all that's left is organizing and more organizing -- oh, and washing a lot of things. However, I am beyond happy with the room and I know that our little girl will love it too!

I think I told you this when you sent me a picture of the room with the pink, but I LOVE it. The pink was just enough to make the gender neutral room ready for your baby girl. :) As for the whole "doing it too soon thing"... its called nesting people! You needed that project to solidify the whole experience for you. Plus I am sure it was way more fun to do it when you were smaller than when your belly is too big to get through the door! :) Love you. Bunches of bananas!!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Becca..nesting is a part of being pregnant...Pinkberry will love her room..Love you <3
ReplyDelete